Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Robots

Soldiers bond with iRobot machine (Reuters).
Angle did not hesitate when asked if he thinks the bond soldiers have formed with his robots is normal.

"I think it's very rational," he said. "(Scooby Doo) was someone, something, that was doing a great service for them and thus when they brought it back, it was viewed not just as a loss of a machine gun or a piece of body armor or a helmet. It was a loss of a contributing member of the team."
A lot of soldiers, especially Marines, will name their rifles. Pilots will name their aircraft. I name my vehicles. It has a lot to do with the magickal link. When the engine starts to sputter and you want the thing to get you two more miles to the gas station for a closer look you can start chanting, "Come on Sera. Come on baby. Just a little further." Compare this with, "Come on 1965 Harley-Davidson Sportster. Come on machine. Just a little further."

But I would have called the bomb sniffing robot Snoopy. Snoopy was a WWI flying ace who challenged and shot down the Red Baron. Scooby was a coward who would eat his best friend's hoagie when his back was turned.

2 comments:

X said...

Maybe the name says less about the machine than about it's masters back in D.C.

Come to think of it, the whole war clusterfuck is a lot like a Scooby Doo episode. Some monster is frightening all the kids, Some mealy mouthed mutt starts talking shit about said monster, but turns tail and runs as soon as faced with danger. In the end, the whole thing is exposed as a hoax perpetrated by some wrinkly old white dude in order to scam money.

I guess watching TV can come in handy after all.

Bree O'Connor said...

My first car's name was Gwydion and I swear the little bastard would laugh at me whenever I dropped my keys. Totally like that cartoon that, apparently only I saw as a child (Because I was a dirty heathen at home on Sunday mornings and everyone else was at church), Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch about a car that could only beep while his other car friends were able to speak perfect English. Their adversaries were a gang of motorcycles called the Chopper Bunch (Sorry Jake, if they didn't meet your chopper specifications- I didn't draw the thing) whose leader had the catch phrase " Start your en-jines!". Perhaps that is the true nature of the machine- make us love them and call them cute names and then totally fuck with us once our backs are turned.

Or it could be that I've had a few glasses of wine and I'm a tad loopy at the moment. In which case you should ignore everything I have to say.