Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Art of Customization


At my last gas stop on Saturday a 40ish gal approached me.

Lady: What's that you're riding?
Jake: 1973 Sportster.
Lady (looking stunned): I used to have one of them, but it didn't look anything like THAT!

That is the power of custimization. Stock is for suckers. If you think buying officially licensed bolt on crap from Harley is customization, you'll get the bland bike you deserve. If you purchase one of those 'production customs' from the likes of Big Dog, BMC, or any of the other V-twin shops, prepare to eventually be ignored as people grow tired of seeing the same 'chopper' over and over.

TAZ isn't even that radical. Ape hangers, 6 inch over forks, a tear drop tank, and an after-market seat. It's nothing compared to my other Sportster, Sera.

I'm a really lucky guy to have two incredible bikes. Anybody willing to save their money can get away with having one.

No comments: