Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Personal Power

You make up your own reality. Don't believe me? I've seen it. In fact I saw four examples last night.

I spent several hours trying to get a grinder not to stop every few indexes. Everything I tried resulted in what seemed like success only to have the machine start acting up when the operator came over to check it out. I did two hours of overtime and witnessed the next shift's operator running that same machine without those problems.

My partner spent the last hour and a half of his day trying to fix multiple depositing problems on an assembly machine. I checked up on him at the end of the day and witnessed these problems. Again at the shift change with a new operator, those problems magickally disappeared.

I had spent a couple of hours on a pair of assembly machines at the beginning of my shift that also had depositing problems. An operator went home sick and the person switched from his machines to the pair that was already running rather well. When the new shift came on and a new operator took over the machines I had worked on, the machines ran perfectly.

A turn-table machine for making our preset parts had a mysterious problem of leaving marks on cutters but not tie-straps. Due to the number of maintenance calls, I switched the machine to running all tie-straps and told the operator that I would look at the cutter issue when I got done with the other calls. The new shift came on and the cutter problem went away, only to be replaced with a new problem affecting both tie-straps and cutters.

You make up your own reality!

No comments: