Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Getting Ahead of Itself By Going Backwards

Scientists at the University of Rochester have observed light going faster than the speed of light by going backwards.
"It's weird stuff," says Boyd. "We sent a pulse through an optical fiber, and before its peak even entered the fiber, it was exiting the other end. Through experiments we were able to see that the pulse inside the fiber was actually moving backward, linking the input and output pulses."
This is one of those strange pieces of information that is going to stick with me and forever change my view of the universe. I keep trying to picture myself about to enter a tunnel only to see myself already exiting the other end and achieving this miracle by going in reverse.

My brain is starting to make noises something like those old percolator coffee pots. Somethin's a-brewin'.

No comments: