Sunday, June 25, 2006

Giving a Glimpse

It's a hot, hot day in P-town. The little weather do-hickie in the corner of my web browser shows a thermometer with red squiggles rising from it. But the promise of iced coffee and watching the hippie chicks stripped down for the heat was too strong to keep me locked up in our fairly cool (even though unairconditioned) home. I had figured I would walk in my , braving longish stretches of open industrial area under the blazing sun, to get to my favorite coffee haunt. Well someone else thought that was a stupid idea. She requested, nearly demanded, that I ride my chopper so as not to over exert myself in the heat. Not only that, she encouraged me to do so in my kilt!

So I gave it a shot. By the way, helmets of any size really, REALLY suck when it is this hot out. REALLY! Thank you so much to those who feel they know what is better for me than I do. As for riding in a kilt, at least I did not cause any accidents. Utilikilts come equipped with vanity snaps that allow the wearer to attach the front and back sides of the hem, ostensibly for climbing ladders and such. It forms something that still looks somewhat kiltish while trying to mimic shorts and hanging like a saggy adult diaper. Still, it kept the peep show to a level just short of what could get me arrested. Upside: my genitalia got a very nice and welcome breeze. Downside: I had to be extremely conscious of where I put my right thigh so as not to lean it up against the oil reservoir. Some might think the idea of a man riding a chopper in a kilt is kind of sexy. Seems like a bit of role reversal of the miniskirt clad vixen draped over a custom bike. Even if my thighs got sun on a regular basis, I feel fairly certain that the whole endeavor looked just plain silly. Maybe it would have been different had I been wearing my knee high shiny black leather punk-as-fuck boots. I might try that some day. Today was not the day. Way too freakin' hot for sitting around the coffee shop in those things. Just plain old combat boots today.

At least one person seemed to appreciate the effect. A queer kid on bicycle gave me a sly smile with a raised brow while we were stopped at an intersection. I grinned back at him with a nod. As foolish as I felt, kilt bunched in front of me and hairy white thighs exposed to the elements for the first time this year, the 'compliment' was appreciated. And hey, June is !

No comments: