Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Call Me Old Fashioned

Duke University Professor Lynn Smith-Lovin has discovered that Americans' circle of close friends is shrinking.
Nearly a quarter of people surveyed said they had "zero" close friends with whom to discuss personal matters. More than 50 percent named two or fewer confidants, most often immediate family members, the researchers said...

"It's one thing to know someone and exchange e-mails with them. It's another thing to say, 'Will you give me a ride out of town with all of my possessions and pets? And can I stay with you for a couple or three months?" Smith-Lovin said.
I can come up with five such individuals without any effort. More come to mind if I sit and actually think about it. My cover is completely blown. I fancy myself a misanthropic curmudgeon. Turns out I'm Mr. Social.

Who knew?

3 comments:

David said...

"Who knew?"

Every who knows you, Jacob. You talk a great game of misanthropy, but when it comes to the actual business of hating people, you're all talk.

I will be pleased to give you a ride out of town with all your posessions and pets any time.

X said...

I disagree. After those five or so people there's a rrreeeal big drop-off.

Unknown said...

Hmm. After hearing your arguments I take it all back. I don't have any close friends. Just suckers I can exploit.