Sunday, June 04, 2006

Far Sighted

I have to remember that I tend to be ahead of the times. In 1993 I drove cross country jamming out to old time swing music. In 1996/97 bands like the Suirrel Nut Zippers and Cherry Poppin' Daddies were makin' it big with their old time swing sound. When I started building a real old school chopper, two years later Street Chopper Magazine was relaunched and a few years after that shows like Monster Garage and American Chopper were hitting the airwaves.

Being ahead of the curve is not fun. As Robert Anton Wilson points out:
"I think I'm the most ripped-off artist of our time," says Wilson... "People keep coming out with books 30 years after -- books on things I wrote about -- and they all become bestsellers.

"I wrote about them too early," says Wilson, raising a thin arm and shaking his finger to emphasize his point: "Don't be premature."
Once in a mock tirade trying to mimic a Nazi I shouted at my then room mate, "Ve Shall Overcome!"

To this he replied, "That's your problem. We cum just the right amount!"

So until the rest of humanity catches up with my ideas, I'll just wear rubber pants with springs in the back side.

No comments: