Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Nostalgic About Nostalgia

My apologies in advance for the sappiness of this post.

People tend to look back on the past with glassy eyed nostalgia remembering all the really great things they used to do. I do it too. I've had a lot of really great times worth remembering and even sharing with others.

For a lot of folks they get to a point where the good times seem to end. They grow up, get serious, get a job, have some kids, settle down, and the wild and crazy days of their youth are over. So they wax nostalgic for what was and now is no more.

That's a damn shame. The good times never need to end. You just have to seek novelty.

In the past year I have written a book, learned machine maintenance, went surfing, started video blogging, watched a vasectomy being performed on myself, performed a wedding ceremony for my older sister, watched the World Cup final while eating barbecue, discovered that eating 13 marinated red hot chili peppers can cause me to hallucinate, and rode my chopper in a kilt. Each of these things I will someday look back on with nostalgia and fondness (or at least a good giggle). I have some vices, too. Ten years from now I probably won't give a damn about the time I spent playing World of Warcraft (though the anarcho-syndicalist guild is a good story), reading the news, or scoring torrents for the entire second season of the new Doctor Who (even though it rocked).

So if your life is humdrum and you find yourself pining for the good old days, just go create some moments that will become new good old days. Repeat often for a full and happy life.

Thus sayeth the Prophet of Wyrd.

1 comment:

X said...

I find the days getting more wild and crazy with kids. Although I really need to do something about the job.