Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Upbeat

I've recently read through a lot of articles in which people tell you what is wrong with the way things are and sometimes tell you what they think should be done to fix things. Such an exercise could make a person very distressed. It used to get me all worked up. "No, no. You've got it all wrong!" Not tonight.

Oh, I still disagreed with almost all of them. Regardless, I found a common thread that gives me hope. These people not only realized that the current system is failing and will ultimately fail out-right, but that the solutions they postulate, while seeming like good ideas right now, will also ultimately fail and be replaced by something better. In theory (mine) this will go on until there is nothing left to try.

All this makes me happy. There is no end-all-be-all. There is no answer, no solution, only options. It's a mind-set I would like to see more people try, even if it is doomed to eventually fail.

1 comment:

Bree O'Connor said...

Options are good. Realizing that there is no real final destination is better. Where you are going is not as important as the journey there. If everything falls apart, I will continue to breathe and fight because that is what I do. We have such a negative view of futility. We do what we do because there is nothing else to do. Isn't that lovely? Quite liberating really.

Back to my boulder.