Sunday, March 19, 2006

A Different Breed of Lazy

Sooner or later, a maintenance guy burns out and needs to be lazy for a while. The average guy will then spend time trying to dodge doing any kind of work. That requires a lot of effort and hoping that nobody catches you goofing off. I go about it differently.

Doing my Sunday overtime today I got back from my last break and knew that I really didn't want to do much for the next two hours. I looked out at the sea of machines with their blue maintenance lights on. Let's see now, which machine has had it's light on all day for some real kick in the pants problem that's not going away any time soon? Ah, there it is. So I deliberately parked myself at one of the oldest, crappiest, screwed up piece of shit machines. I knew that I would spend the last two hours of the day at that one machine and with a little bit of luck, I just might get it to run a little better. There was no chance that I could 'fix' this old beast. Nobody has fixed that thing the entire time I've worked there. A good maintenance guy can get it to run well for a shift, maybe two if they're lucky.

How is parking myself at a piece of shit machine being lazy? With the right mind set, it turns into your playground. It already doesn't run for shit, so you can start playing with all of the different pieces of the puzzle. What does this do? What if I do that? It's a game. The operator has spent all day cussing at the machine and has given up any hopes they may have harbored of actually getting production out of it. They are more than happy to sit back and let you mess with it as long as they don't have to touch it for the last two hours. They'll chat with you and keep you company while you tinker. And after a couple of hours, it runs a little better. The operator turns in their paper work for the day, turns off the machine, turns out the maintenance light, and thanks you for your hard work.

No comments: