Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Wrong Questions

Some guy thinks he is a hot shot and can tell us why ghosts don't exist.
Using science and math, Efthimiou explains why it is ghosts can't walk among us while also gliding through walls, like Patrick Swayze in the movie "Ghost." That violates Newton's law of action and reaction. If ghosts walk, their feet apply force to the floor, but if they go through walls they are without substance, the professor says.
But seeing as how even the most solid of walls actually consists of more space than matter I always find myself wondering why I can't walk through walls. There is plenty of speculation on the material nature of matter with great leanings towards the idea that it does not exist, per se, but is just represented by probability fields. As for walking, it's probably just an old habit. How long has it been since I biologically needed to suck on a boob? Hasn't stopped me from trying at every opportunity. So how do we explain this paradox of a universe consisting of nothing much at all that can really hurt when you run head first into it? I know it has to do with repulsive fields, but I shower every day.

Newton's 'laws' are theories and have their limits. CSICON!

No comments: