Saturday, October 21, 2006

Space/Time

I woke up five minutes before the alarm told me I needed to get up if I didn't want to be late to class. My dreams had been really funky all night, but nothing that eluded to the thought that was now lodged in my head.

It is theorized that sub-atomic particles exist as fields of probability that not only can ignore traditional spatial travel but can also ignore time as we conceive it. For instance, in some circles it is not considered too far fetched to suggest that an electron can leave here and be on the other side of the galaxy before it left. A bit much for your head at 6:40 AM on Saturday before heading off to a community college class on machine tools practices? What about those experiments with light where they were able to get light to appear at the other end of an optic connection before it left the source? Yes, it is all very strange but hints that the concept of time travel is not a total pipe dream.

So what if we end up only harnessing the power to send light or sub-atomic particles backwards and forwards in time? That means we can send information back in time. A very powerful tool. Most banking transactions consist of information. You swipe a debit card and it withdraws funds from your account and deposits them into the vendor's account. Imagine at the height of your earning potential sending funds to yourself just out of high school so you could pay for your education with cash instead of loans that have interest. Or a retro-fund purchase of your dream home so you can buy it when the market is most favorable without having to take out a mortgage. It would destroy our current economic system. But say you could only send information back a few minutes. You could still make a killing on the stock market. At least until once again the practice devastated our linear time dependent market system. You can't have people quintupling their money every few minutes as casual day traders. It's just not sustainable.

Suddenly my idea for matter transmission machining seemed like child's play. But it was time for me to take off for class to learn how to use the old fashioned mills, lathes, and surface grinders to make components for use in old fashioned linear time forward machines; machines that make saw chain that cuts down trees that produce pulp for paper for printing out parts specifications for a space elevator that will take supplies into low orbit for building an array of orbital space colonies that will not only shield the Earth from the Sun, reducing the risk of global warming, but will house researchers performing experiments that will lead to the ability to send information backwards in time thus facilitating the collapse of the current economic and political paradigms. I love my job.

3 comments:

List with Laszlo said...

I remember reading about those red light time experiments a few years ago. Awesome. Imagine I only had to show up at work and presto! I was leaving having put in a full day immediately. It would like be being paid but never having really worked. Also I wouldn't age those hours so those 8 hour days at work would translate into 1/3 more life! I love science.

Scott said...

Sounds interesting. Could you provide links, please? I've got a final project due in a few weeks where I need to put together a website that describes an artwork that exists 50-100 years in the future. I'd love to learn more about this stuff.

Unknown said...

It has been my policy for several years now to not do other people's homework for them.

And I don't have links, only memories, some of which are yet to happen.