Friday, September 22, 2006

Act Your Age

My 33rd birthday is only a few weeks away. Yesterday I got carded. It wasn't just a typical card everybody moment. The waitress at Acrop asked if I knew what I wanted then looked up from her note pad at my face and said, "Actually, I need to see your ID." I kept from busting out laughing.

For the first time in years I know exactly what I am going to do for my birthday. I'm going surfing. Mid-September to mid-August is the best time of year for the North Oregon coast. Storm swells are building off the coast while Easterly winds prevail, creating excellent waves averaging 7-12 feet. Once winter hits the waves get scary, 10-20 feet and some days are even bigger. In a year or two I hope to be a competent enough longboarder to catch some of those cold monsters. Birthday surfing should prove most excellent.

No comments: