Friday, January 27, 2006

The Independent Economy

Some of my friends work in the computer industry creating different types of software from applications to games. Is it important that when searching for these types of products that I choose ones made by their respective employers? Of course not. Each of them gets paid a set sum regardless of my individual buying habits. In the same vein, if you want to buy saw chain, I can tell you that the company I work for makes a good product. The paycheck I bring home at the end of the week looks the same regardless. Your support of the company represents a drop in the bucket that adds to the company's financial stability and therefor makes my emplyment a bit more secure. Not a huge deal, though.

On the other hand, people like my friends Joanna Wylde, The Unholy, and Fluffers Union get money every time you purchase one of their products. It has a direct impact on their financial well being. Supporting such endeavors is paramount in the struggle for individual freedom. That does not mean you should buy their shit just for the sake of supporting them. It means that when you want something like what they have to offer, you should go directly for their stuff.

It's like my groceries. I buy all I can from the family veggie stand a few blocks away. It puts money into a family's hands instead of adding to the bottom line as figured back at corporate HQ.

No comments: