Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Fresh Start

After 16 years I've heard it all.

This weekend I got all my hair shaved off. The original plan involved shaving the sides and cutting back the mohawk to a very short length. We did that. Upon doing so we discovered that over the course of the two years since my last full shave, my hawk had drifted about an eighth of an inch to the right. Time to shave it all off, hit the reset button, start from scratch, and re-center.

So everyone at work needed to comment on it. Trouble is, I've heard all the lines before. So now I beat them to it. Attacked by the lawn mower. Clearing out the lice. Hanging with the white supremacists. My favorite description to tell people is still, "I needed to hit the reset button."

In a month I'll have the mohawk back. My hair grows fast.

Why the mohawk? Why do I continue to go back to the same hairstyle time and time again? It has become a part of who I am. I look fantastic with a fully shaved head. Far easier to maintain as well. But the hawk is still the hair style of a rebel. Shaved hair, long hair, mullet, mop top, pompadour, even dreads can be an acceptable male hair style. Maybe some day the mohawk will achieve that status. I doubt it. The hairstyle is naturally aggressive. It demands attention. Over half my life now I've had it, except for when I have to hit the reset button.

Learn more about mohawks!

No comments: