Friday, April 21, 2006

The Dark Arts

While grinding a set of spin plates at work, I realized that I was indulging in the dark arts at work. While making my final pass across the plates as they revolved on the turntable of the specially modified surface grinder, I advanced the diamond grinding wheel .020 each revolution. A full turn of the wheel that controls this is .100 inch. By turning the handle two the imagined points of an inverted hexagram, I could visualize my progress points without watching the exact meter readings. It's not rocket science, just saw chain. When I did look at the readings, I discovered that the downward point of the inverted pentagram was at .0666 inch. It takes 66.6 passes to make enough step increases to get across the entire spin plate.

I also happen to know that the motors for our rotary parts washers weigh 666 lbs.

No comments: