Thursday, December 20, 2007

Welcome to the New Lakota Nation!

A few of my friends have posted about this and I want to mention it as well. According to articles I have seen from multiple sources (French, Australian, and domestic), the Lakota have withdrawn from the treaties of 1851 and 1868 to declare themselves independent of the United States of America.
"Today is a historic day and our forefathers speak through us. Our Forefathers made the treaties in good faith with the sacred Canupa and with the knowledge of the Great Spirit," shared Garry Rowland from Wounded Knee. "They never honored the treaties, that's the reason we are here today."
That is a strong statement. I admire such strength. When elected President of the United States of America I swear to honor their choice.
Property ownership in the five state area of Lakota now takes center stage. Parts of North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana have been illegally homesteaded for years despite knowledge of Lakota as predecessor sovereign [historic owner]. Lakota representatives say if the United States does not enter into immediate diplomatic negotiations, liens will be filed on real estate transactions in the five state region, clouding title over literally thousands of square miles of land and property.
When elected President I will honor this as well, returning the aforementioned property to the Lakota as it is rightfully theirs.
The new country would issue its own passports and driving licences, and living there would be tax-free - provided residents renounce their US citizenship, Mr Means said.
If not elected this sounds like a deal worth considering. It means I'd have to give up surfing and take up snow boarding instead. Though if their diplomatic missions go well I will still have access to several good surf spots.
The group also visited the Bolivian, Chilean, South African and Venezuelan embassies, and said they would continue on their diplomatic mission and take it overseas.
After World War II we gave the Jews their ancestral homeland back to them despite other people living there. This deal seems a lot more cut and dry. Best wishes and hopes for many years of peace and prosperity to our Lakota neighbors!

Seriously people. Get excited about this. Support it and celebrate it. Create a new reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of this. I think it would be great to have a whole new nation right in the center of the Old US. However, what about the people that currently live there? I feel terrible for them. Do they have to become part of the Lakota Nation? What about all the money they have invested in their homestead. They bought land and property they thought was legal and now they will just be left high and dry?

It is a lot easier when you just go in, take everything and say "fuck you this is mine". Then you don't have to have treaties and feel like you owe someone something. The colonists should have just said "fuck you this is mine" or the natives should have just said "fuck you no it ain't bitch". Then we would not have all these special rights, rules and treaties.

I'm not saying it would be right but it sure would be easier. This is what was done for thousands of years and I think the change sucks.

My stick is bigger than your stick so shut the hell up and hand it over... so simple.

iSirkus said...

It seems for now, that Means' declaration is only symbolic. After checking out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Means the guy has no technical authority within the Sioux Nation.

And Yes. I admit that wikipedia is not the best source for information, but my time is limited!

I also want to note that any incoming flippant comments about Means' affiliations with Ward Churchill, or the Weather Underground or any other character attacks on Means' will be summarily dismissed and I get to threaten physical violence.

This declaration does warrant us paying attention to it, as almost half of Sioux Nation supports this guy (from what I have gathered over at wiki). Besides his support, there is strong need for many Americans to see change ...something like this could get the proverbial ball rolling.

I apologize for over simplifying. I need to do more research. But this topic does excite me!