Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Puritanical Pukes

A Rhode Island couple has received probation for having sex in front of the woman's nine year old daughter. (Reuters)
"Basically, and I'm tempted to say idiotically, they believed it was helpful to the girl, Ms. Arnold's daughter; they believed it was helpful to her development to see them engaging in various sex acts in front of her," said Mike Healey, spokesman for state attorney general Patrick Lynch.
Basically, and I'm tempted to say idiotically, the state seems to think they know better than the parents how to raise the child. In no way do I disapprove of this method of sex education. Would I choose a similar strategy if I were to have a child of my own? HELL NO! But I'd much rather find out that parents are letting their kid watch them have sex then to find out they bought their kid a TV for their bedroom. Especially with cable. That's brain damaging.

This reminds me of a thought I had last week. For some reason that totally escapes me, I was thinking about Little House on the Prairie. Damn, it hurts just typing those words. Growing up in Southern Minnesota, one summer we took a day trip to Walnut Grove to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum. Contrary to what many who grew up watching the TV show may think, there are NO mountains anywhere near Walnut Grove. None. Little House on the PRAIRIE! If you look at pioneer housing, it was really basic. Most of it consisted of a single room with a loft. Lots of big families all living in a single room with a loft. How did those families get so big when there was just a single room with a loft? I don't think puritanism has the answer.

Thank you Rhode Island for preventing the next Laura Ingalls Wilder.

No comments: