Friday, February 23, 2007

The Stoke

Just before 2 my surf buddy calls me up. "Dude. I just picked up my board. Can I stash it at your place?" Hell yeah. So he drops it off. I offer to let him use my base coat to wax his board and he has brought a package of Sticky Bumps cold water wax with him. I am fairly certain that all surf wax smells awesome. Right now the house has a scent that reminds me of all of the good things about grape cool-aid. I call home at lunch break to talk to the loveliest girl on earth and she says, "I walked in and said 'What is that smell? Mmmm, Sex Wax.'" I informed her that it was actually Sticky Bumps, but agreed that surf wax smells freakin' awesome.

So this Sunday, now that we are fully geared and ready, we are hitting the coast. I've checked surf reports every day. They had predicted average swells with some winds out of the west. What do I find today? Surf reports have suddenly changed to predict epic swells bordering on 'hazardous' starting Sunday. That sounds so sick.

Then tonight after work I have my ride drop me off at the pub to pick up my post math test lover. I find her talking to a guy who just moved here from Southern Cal. The guy asks me, "What gets you going?" My answer, surfing. "Oh, no way! I moved here to get away from that scene." So I explain to this guy that Oregon has killer surf, this weekend Seaside Point will probably get double if not triple overhead waves, and since the water is freakin' cold, almost nobody is out riding them.

And when we get home, the killer smell of surf wax makes the underlying smell of a couple of shedding dogs seem but a trifle.

Dude, I am STOKED!

No comments: