Friday, February 29, 2008

Proposition 3-17

Guinness is trying to make St. Patrick's Day an official US holiday. You can go sign the petition and I encourage everyone to do so. Of course they have an ulterior motive. Anyone who knows better than to drink the green beer is probably grabbing a Guinness. They want a national holiday dedicated to people consuming their products. Brilliant! If successful this will be the biggest coup since Bud Bowl became a part of every Super Bowl Sunday.

But who can argue with a day off dedicated to drinking?Even though St. Pat's fell on a Saturday last year the plant made us work mandatory overtime. That meant I could only have three Guinness before work and two at lunch. The working classes deserve a day of drink. Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, New Year's Eve, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Martin Luther King Day just aren't enough.

Next up, Rosh Hashanah and Halloween.

4 comments:

List with Laszlo said...

I agree wholeheartedly! Especially since Easter falls on a Sunday and the Pope is such a dick he won't move it to Monday like everyother holiday!

I'm not Catholic and I'm not Irish, but any holiday that involves beer I'm in favor of!

Anonymous said...

I'm torn- I would especially like Halloween declared a national holiday, but I suspect that it would be more useful to have the following day off... you know, to accommodate the sugar hangovers, etc.

Unknown said...

Very true, Becky. It should probably be treated like New Year's. That we way can celebrate All Hallows' Eve with reckless abandon by having All Saints' Day off.

That would make it one more Christian holiday, which is my only reservation about making St. Pat's a holiday.

X said...

I don't care so much whether the holidays are Christian. They stole them all from pagans anyway. We might as well steal them back.