Saturday, July 08, 2006

Well I'm Going Out West Where I Belong

It occurs to me that Jake is going all West Coast. Since moving west I have found myself saying 'dude', 'awesome', and 'totally' quite frequently. I have yet to say, "Totally awesome, dude!" The phrase has started to lurk in my brain, though.

Owning a chopper is totally West Coast. I may have built the bike in Minnesota, but it has west coast style. Fits right in while standing out. And I ride it to work every day in true West Coast chopper culture style. Scooters are prevalent, but I'm fairly certain it is just a fad.

Now we've got a 1972 Super Beetle. Old Volkswagens are about as West Coast as you can get. These freaks with their SUV's out here are posers. The surf bums, beach combers, and hippies have all got old V-Dubs.

Learning to surf will push it all over the edge. While there are tons of surf spots around the globe, surfing is typically West Coast. The major surf meccas are all along the Pacific. Leading the pack are California, Hawaii, and Australia.

Perhaps I am merely adapting to my environment. Maybe I am taking the opportunity to re-invent Jake. Or maybe I am just selling out. Doesn't matter, really. The West Coast in the summer is pretty sweet, dude.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shit! I'm even wearing sandals right now. What the hell?

List with Laszlo said...

Ha! Guess I'm going opposite. I picked up a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer SUV...plenty of room for the kids, not as nerdy as a mini-van and I broke the family in with 2 weeks of camping. Taught my 3 year old Ian to piss in the woods...he don't need no stinkin' toilet. Hey at least I take the SUV into the woods...dude.