Friday, July 28, 2006

Dream Home

Every so often I like to look at various houses on the market around the country using realtor.com. I'll put in the criteria that I feel is important for that particular day and sort the results by number of photos.

There is one room that can make or break a house for me. All other rooms I can see my way to accept design flaws or elements that I just plain don't like. But if I don't like the kitchen, I don't like the house.

For me, the kitchen needs to be big. It should have lots of counter space, plenty of cupboard space, an island, and preferably an open bar that allows communication with an adjoining dining room or rec room. All my life, the kitchen has been the center of events. In farm homes, everything centers around the kitchen. At every party I have attended since my earliest memories (back in those single digit age times) there has always been a group of people standing around the kitchen talking. The kitchen is where it's at.

But most houses have terrible, tiny kitchens. I can't seem to find urban dwellings with nice kitchens until I hit the $1 million range. I guess city folk don't cook unless they're rich enough to eat out every night.

I wanted to share this with everyone. More importantly, I want X, my un-running mate and architect, to rant and froth his understanding of this phenomenon.

2 comments:

Bree O'Connor said...

I am most definitely not X, but feel compelled to share the tale of my first Brooklyn apartment. If you can tell about someone's life by the way they arrange their homes, the person who had configured that building had some major issues with his/her GI tract. The kitchen had barely enough room for one person to turn around in while the bathroom was the size of fucking Yankee Stadium.

Unknown said...

Obviously someone who took full advantage of all of the excellent local dining.