Saturday, August 09, 2008

Pop Goes the Weasels

McCain and Obama have revealed some of their pop culture picks in a recent article. Turns out I have something in common with John McCain.
Obama, McCain reveal pop culture favorites

In the world of music, McCain revealed a weakness for the Swedish disco-era band ABBA, late singer Roy Orbison and 1970s star Linda Ronstadt.
I could do without Linda. Obama listed Frank Sinatra, Bob Dylan, Sheryl Crow and John Coltrane. I like Sinatra and Dylan, but when put in a tops list with Crow and Coltrane, let it be said I will never attend a party at the Obama household.

And is is just me or does the article seem to be deliberately playing to the McCain camp?

To answer some of the same questions put to the other candidates (since nobody bothered to ask me):
  • Favorite Super-hero: I grew up liking Captain Atom. I also like Rorschach.
  • Favorite Musical Acts: Bands that almost never get flipped past during random rotation include Tool, Flogging Molly, Gogol Bordello, Joe Strummer and ABBA.
  • Television Shows: Simpsons, South Park, Doctor Who, Monty Python, Venture Brothers and The Prisoner
  • Last Movie Seen in a Theater: WALL-E
  • Favorite Actor in the Role of President: Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks and Ronald Lacey in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
  • First Movie Memory: Star Wars with that fabulous scrolling opening text and powerful music followed by the little ship being pursued by the big ship. That's politics for you.

No comments: