Sunday, July 29, 2007

Reflections on a Day at the Beach

The ocean is big. Really, really big. Every time I drive out to the coast and catch my first glimpse of the Pacific I am reminded of this. It always amazes me. To pull around a corner and see the ocean stretching out forever over a cliff is an awesome sight. Two thirds of this planet is covered by water and almost no humans live there. We've still got a lot of resources available once we get our act together and start actually utilizing them. The long stretches of Kansas and Montana pale in comparison to the expanse of never ending ocean glistening in the sun.

The taboo against public nudity is one of the most absurd things our so-called enlightened populace clings to. Having to wrap a towel around your torso to put on a wetsuit at the beach is annoying. Given that public nudity is still a crime, thank goodness for bikinis. The beach was packed with teenagers, college girls, and even several young mothers in two-piece suits. Even better was walking along the beach, half blind from lack of corrective lenses while surfing and trying to find the spot where I had stashed my gear, and happening upon a gal breaking the law by sunbathing topless. While there are plenty of individuals who I could happily live out my days without ever seeing in the buff, for every ten of them there is one woman out there that would make the removal of the restrictions on public nudity worthwhile. As a presidential candidate I swear to do everything in my power to correct the injustice to human beauty. Want to piss off those Islamic fundamentalists who seem to think women should be kept in bags? Want to strike a blow against 'them'? Legalize public nudity.

Lastly, an eight foot board still displaces too much water in mushy surf when ridden by a big guy like myself. Aside from the first 45 minutes during which I caught my best ride to date, the rest of the day was small white water breaks. With the exception of a couple of experienced surfers the only people catching waves were small folks with big boards. Lots of belly riding. Now I understand those guys who will bring two or three boards to the beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think spandex is worse than nudity. It takes everything you may not want to see and adds a sick comic twist that will wake you out of a dead sleep screaming. Not to mention some people that would never go nude seem to think they are "covering it all up" if they have stretchy material screaming at the seams. Can you legalize nudity and ban spandex?

I have no idea what you are talking about in the last paragraph. Get a motor.

List with Laszlo said...

" Want to piss off those Islamic fundamentalists who seem to think women should be kept in bags? Want to strike a blow against 'them'? Legalize public nudity."

Yes and Yes! The human body is beautiful and while all may not be 'atttactive' I much prefer it to hiding it beneath a burqa. The other day while waiting for my bus a muslim man got off of the train clad in shorts and a t-shirt accompanied by his wife covered in a black burqa, only eyes showing. It was 90 degrees. Unfair by my standards.