Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Odds

The odds that a person will win the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 146,000,000.

The odds of winning a state lottery are 1 in 14,000,000.

The odds of being attacked by a shark are 1 in 8,000,000.

The odds of being killed by a shark are 1 in 300,000,000.

So it comes as no surprise that people who are scared to death of getting eaten by a shark will often feel safe playing lottery games. Hell, the odds of me becoming President are 1 in 10,000,000 and that hasn't stopped me.

2 comments:

X said...

Really? 1 in 10 million? I thought that the odds would be an awful lot longer than that.

WV:owipwn

Unknown said...

I thought it odd myself. Most of the data comes from this completely unscientific and unsubstantiated website. According to them it is more likely you'll become president than be an astronaut. But if I can avoid getting eaten by a shark and win the lottery I'm sure as hell going to become an astronaut!