Saturday, August 01, 2009

Healthcare Cowards

Hey, all you pansies who are scared to death* by the prospect of socializing medicine, what are you so afraid of?

To answer this question, I picked a site at random** that was against socialized medicine. Here is some of what they had to say.
When we examine countries that have embraced socialized medicine, we find long waiting lists, expansive red tape and little concern for the individual. Do you really want to be told which doctor to go to? Do you want to wait years to have necessary medical procedures performed? If so, then socialized medicine is for you.
Long waiting lists? Here in the good old United States I tend only to go to a doctor if I don't feel well. The first thing they ask me is if I have an appointment. Of course I have to call ahead to get an appointment. If I want to see an actual doctor and not just a nurse practitioner (sorry sis) they are typically booked at least a month out. Yep, long waiting list.

Red tape? You mean like when my appendix was partially ruptured and they had me waiting around for hours answering questions about my insurance and then double checking so they knew they'd get paid? The whole time I was double overed in excruciating pain wondering why I was talking to a receptionist and not a doctor when my own clinic had sent me there immediately after my doctor's appointment.*** Is that really better than them having to go through the same bullshit from a single provider?

As far as individual concern, why am I always treated like a junky trying to get some prescription meds? The bastards won't prescribe me anything while giving others with the exact same symptoms an entire shopping list. Meanwhile I don't even use up the meds I'm prescribed while these other fuckers with carte blanche talk about popping a few Vicadin with a six pack. I did meet one doctor who showed some real concern for me. The guy who performed my vasectomy. He was awesome. He was also very busy and had a long waiting list to see. So I had to see a different doctor for my pre-op appointment and that guy neglected to tell me all sorts of stuff during our rushed ten minute session.

Even if I don't want to be told what doctor to go to, I don't have much choice. Like most citizens on their crappy company plans, the provider gives me a list of people to choose from. If I want to go to someone else, one of their doctors has to refer me. Oh, unless I'm uber rich and can go to any doctor I can afford. But anyone anywhere in the world can do that. They can fly to the world famous hospitals of Sweden or Germany.

One way or another we all pay for health care for everyone. For the uninsured, they will eventually end up in emergency rooms and the tax payers have to pick up the bill. If you are wondering why your pay is so small, part of the reason is that your insurance is factored as part of your cost as an employee****. You are paying for it. The premiums on insurance seem high to those who don't use it because they are helping to cover for those who do. You know, like some sort of socialized sharing of health care costs among all. You are helping to pay for the treatment of that little girl with cancer. If you are so against socialized medicine, drop your insurance, pay cash at the doctor's office, and watch the little cancer girl die.

Do I want to wait years to have necessary medical procedures performed? Well, yes. I hate going to the doctor and I especially hate surgery. Unless I can watch them operating on me. That is pretty cool. But if we socialize medicine we aren't going to have to wait any longer. Seriously. You are just being paranoid. Stop being such a big scared baby and go for some socialized health care.

Afterwards we can go get ice cream... ya pussy.

* Accidental death due to fear of socialized medicine is not covered by your current plan.

** Searched for reasons to be against socialized healthcare and chose the first one.

*** They got me in to see a nurse practitioner and she called the doctor almost immediately, just as slickly as they do in socialized countries.

**** And part of the reason is that your employer is a cheap, greedy bastard more concerned with his own financial standing than with your ability to pay rent or buy insulin.

2 comments:

Brad said...

I agree 100%. I just had a debate with a few people who are of course against the government medical plan. All their lame excuses I fought with the standard answer "just like now". The only change is it may be more affordable for the middle class. I am sure the feds will fuck it up like everything else but at least I will be able to afford it. It is fucked now so who cares! What difference does it make if a half wit elected official or a putz in $4,000 suit decides what meds I get and where I go? Lets roll those damn dice and see what happens. The rich will still be able to buy their bionic heart and fake tits just like now, money wins.

The biggest argument these people had I was chatting with was that we loose freedom. I damn near shit my pants! Who the hell has any medical freedom now? Unless you have $100 bills hanging out of your pockets you are stuck with what they give you and where they send you. You want a second opinion... better have a full wallet. The same people that have choices now will continue to have choices. You have as many choices as you do funds.

So I agree 100% with you, it just plain old fear. I wonder how these people manage to put on clean underwear in the morning. You would think the change would ruin their whole week!

List with Laszlo said...

I go back and forth. On the one hand I currently pay over $400 a month for my "employer provided" insurance and still get co-pays, etc. Every year both the premiums and co-pays go up.

Philosophically I don't think it's governments job to pay for healthcare, but on the otherhand when I see how many billions they send to foreign countries in aid I think we could take care of our own for just a fraction.

The BIG question becomes how much are they going to tax me for this? They're talking about a sugar tax. Ironically the very tax that sparked tha American Revoultion in the first place.

Nobody has convinced me that there will be any bang for the buck and the taxes could eat up my check faster them my current premiums.

I really got suspicious when Obama tried to rush it through without giving congress time to read it. I'm glad it got stalled. Maybe it'll get tweaked to something I'll find stomachable.