Saturday, February 14, 2009

Burn the False Gods!

As someone who writes a lot of angry rants about politics, I find that I also enjoy angry rants about politics. Nothing like a good angry rant to get the blood flowing. Angry rants and machetes. Good stuff for blood flow.

Mmmm, blood. More people are calling for it these days.
Who Keeps Screwing Us Over?

I shouldn't be surprised by now. But I still was when I read the article this morning in the Washington Post explaining that the cap on executive pay has been removed from the stimulus bill. I knew what Congress was doing yesterday by bringing the Wall Street executives in and scolding them in public was a dog and pony show. But I had not realized how profoundly full of shit these politicians are.

They make a big display of yelling at the CEOs and then the very next day they quietly remove any cap on their compensation. These people are not on our side. This is why so many Americans are so damn frustrated. Everyone in power appears to be bought and paid for. There is a circle of people in DC and NY that keep passing the money around to one another and then come and collect it from us.
They pulled the windfall tax on the oil companies before even getting into office. Now they pull the pay cap on banks getting 'emergency bailout funds'.

Let's have an intervention for the alcoholic uncle. I'll pick up the keg.
We're wasting our time here. Just nationalize the damn banks already. Almost all of the top economists are now in agreement that we should take this step. The people who put the money in are the people who own the company -- that's how capitalism works. I'm a die-hard capitalist. I don't want the federal government owning banks for an extended period of time. But what's worse is to continue letting these bankers rob us of our money day in and day out while we sit around like fools.

We buy it, we own it. Kick the clowns out. Run it for a limited amount of time while we stabilize the credit markets. And then sell them off in the free market. Instead of begging the bankers to loosen up credit, we take the banks and do it ourselves.
First off, if the government takes over the banks, they'll do it for keeps. Same people in charge, inconvenient new location.

As for Mr. die-hard capitalist, good for you. We humans love to believe in things. If believing in money helps you sleep at night, more power to you.

I wish people would stop forcing their belief systems on others. Just because I see representations of the Easter Bunny every year does not make the Easter Bunny real no matter how hard I believe. Lots of myth and theory behind it, no bunny leaving eggs. A lot of messed up BS* that may have meant something believable at one time but has gotten so far removed from reality we can't even recognize it any more.

Just like money.

*Belief System

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny how whenever I rant about money as a phony construct I end up checking my bank account and realize just how phony it is.

List with Laszlo said...

Our "economy" is a myth. I go to work. Everyother Friday numbers magically appear in my bank account. I go online and transfer some of those numbers to companies that give me things like electricity. I go to the gas station and swipe a plastic card at the pump and it turns on and puts gas in my car. I go to the store and swipe my card and they let me take food home. I rarely see any real cash. It's all just a barter system of numbers on a computer. You're right, it is phony. Ever since we got off of the gold standard.

Unknown said...

Yes.

The gold standard still eluded to a myth that somehow gold had real value. Perhaps a corn or wheat standard would prove more appropriate. They have calories which we can ingest to do work. There, how about a calorie based currency? Something real and measurable.

Fiat currency removes itself from the myth from whence it came. In essence it is backed by the idea that money has value. Faith based currency. If people stop believing it has value and stop accepting it as payment, the money turns into well made paper with green ink on it. Or as you pointed out, just a bunch of numbers floating around computers.

Instead of suffering through a depression or recession or whatever else they want to call this, how about "Economic Exorcism".

Anonymous said...

"Economic Exorcism" Me thinks that is good shit!!