Friday, January 30, 2009

Bill Hicks on Letterman Tonight!

No, that's not a joke. Apparently TV audiences are finally ready for something recorded fifteen fucking years ago.
1993 censored Bill Hicks segment from the ‘Late Show’ to be broadcast on Letterman this Friday, January 30

This is what I think CBS, the producers of the Letterman show, the networks and governments fear the most - that one man free, expressing his own thoughts and point of view, might somehow inspire others to think for themselves and listen to that voice of reason inside them, and then perhaps, one by one we will awaken from this dream of lies and illusions that the world, the governments and their propaganda arm, the mainstream media, feeds us continuously over 52 channels, 24 hours a day.

What I realised was that they don't want the people to be awake. The elite ruling class wants us asleep so we'll remain a docile, apathetic herd of passive consumers and non-participants in the true agendas of our governments, which is to keep us separate and present an image of a world filled with unresolvable problems, that they, and only they, might somewhere, in the never-arriving future, may be able to solve. Just stay asleep, America. Keep watching television. Keep paying attention to the infinite witnesses of illusion we provide you over 'Lucifer's Dream Box'.
I have never before in my life had the thought, "I should watch Letterman tonight."

For those who don't know, Bill Hicks wrote much of my political platform posthumously.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just watched it and so glad. I was laughing my fucking ass off.

He had obviously toned it down for television. Out there, absolutely. But he obeyed the rules and stayed away from the particulars that would guarantee censorship.

The big shock was Letterman taking full responsibility for it being pulled. Either he was taking the fall for a network decision, or Letterman was a huge asshole with no balls.

Back to the clip. You could sense that the audience wasn't 100% with him. They wanted to laugh. They knew they should laugh. There was just something in their upbringing that prevented a good number of them from going along for the ride.

Like I said, I was laughing my ass off. As close to actually rolling on the floor laughing as I have ever been without the aid of illicit substances. And half the material I had heard before on his comedy album Rant in E Minor. Bill Hicks is just that damn good.