Sunday, May 10, 2009

Jesus Endorses Torture

For as long as I can remember people tried to convince me that the church was the supporting structure of a moral society. The idea has issued forth from friends, family, clergy, politicians, teachers, veterinarians, homeless panhandlers and addiction counselors. I have maintained for quite some time that people can be just as good without all that. Turns out I was wrong.
CNN.com

White evangelical Protestants were the religious group most likely to say torture is often or sometimes justified -- more than six in 10 supported it. People unaffiliated with any religious organization were least likely to back it. Only four in 10 of them did.
A bunch of Christian crackers think Jesus is okay with torture. Have they really thought this through? Take those terror suspects, nail 'em to a tree, and let them bake in the sun until they spill their guts!

Like I said, I was wrong. Religion is more like a bunch of termites gnawing away at a moral society. People are better without it.

Unless you think torture is the moral high road. Then God help you.

No comments: