Thursday, August 25, 2005

Giving Up News

I wish I had a heroine or amphetamine addiction. Programs and treatment methods exist to help you kick those habits. People in general will seem supportive of your efforts. Instead, I have decided to stop feeding my news addiction. It sucks. While clearing the news sources from my start page, I couldn't keep myself from clicking on five headlines. Yesterday I seemed powerless to keep from scrolling down my subscription menu that lists the latest headlines. Strength and perseverance. I want to give up news for one month. Just one month. I don't want journalisticly filtered reality. My senses will guide me. Just one month. I can feel the shakes coming on. "Just one news story, come on, check out the Sydney Morning Herald." NO! No news. I can do this.

I realize that the random news event will filter through my co-workers. Inevitable. That doesn't count since they seem to get the facts screwed up half the time anyway.

No radio news. I got the tape deck working.

No television news. Not even the weather.

I will allow myself one guilty pleasure. Science news. But only once a week.

1 comment:

iSirkus said...

Does FARK count as news?