Tuesday, May 01, 2007

AWPC: The Secret

Plant Manager: I just read The Secret. Have any of you read it?

Me: I watched the movie.

PM: Really? How was it?

Me: I thought it was an over simplification of the esoteric principles of multiple theological and ritual systems. While it has mass appeal and the information as given has no inherent flaws, it glossed over the fundamental roots required for success in such endeavors.

PM: Wow. That went right over my head.

Me: Yeah, I tend to do that some times.

PM: Well, I'm going to think positive thoughts and win the lottery.

Me: Good luck with that.

5 comments:

X said...

Yes, we still have a lot of evolving to do.

X said...

Okay, so I read the synopsis on Wikipedia. Sounds a lot like that crap movie "What the #$*! Do We Know!?" by the Ramtha School of Enlightenment which deconstructed our concepts of knowledge (and rightly so), but ended with a very absolutist statement, "Drugs are bad." By the end I was thinking, "What the #$*! Am I Doing Watching This Shit!?"

Besides, in trying to draw the Secrets of the Universe out of various religions, one should always keep in mind that the concept of spirituality likely originated in some hairless ape who wanted to believe that its mother wasn't really dead.

Unknown said...

The two films have a lot in common. Like giving gross over-simplifications in an attempt to appeal to a market willing to throw money at a quick, feel good fix.

X said...

Seriously, Why aren't we doing this?

Unknown said...

Because we'd screw it up like this.